Friday, October 4, 2024

The Tremor Swamp - My Entry for the Knave 2E Adventure Jam

 


        Once again, I awaken from my slumber, with momentous news: I am now officially a TTRPG publisher. I have just submitted my first published adventure for the Knave 2E Adventure Jam on itch.io.

The Tremor Swamp - A Knave 2E Adventure

        The Tremor Swamp is a wilderness pointcrawl detailing points of interest within a single 6 mile hex of swampland. A renegade wizard is attempting to uncover the lost magic of another long dead wizard to summon an army of elf ghosts and unleash them upon the kingdom in an act of revenge. The players must traverse the swamp and stop him before it's too late.

        A big part of the aesthetic for this adventure is "fantasy Southern Gothic." The location is inspired by the Okefenokee Swamp in my home state of Georgia. I have often thought that American inspired settings do not get enough representation in fantasy, and of course, they say to write what you know.

        Look, it's got art! Look at my pretty art! Drawn by hand with zero AI.        

This style of map drawing was inspired by the maps of Map Crow/Kyle Latino, whose work is also featured in the printed version of Knave 2E.

My experience with Knave 2E/Questing Beast

        I've been a big fan of Ben Milton's channel Questing Beast for a long time. Showcasing the great creativity of the OSR scene is a large part of what got me back into TTRPGs after a long hiatus. So when I heard that he was doing a Kickstarter for Knave 2E, I backed it partially because of how useful of a GM tool his other work Maze Rats is, and partly just to show my gratitude for his content.

        Also, crazy coincidence, but I happened to move to Wichita, KS in early 2023 to start a new job. It was only after the Knave 2E Kickstarter that I found out that Ben Milton lives in Wichita, too. I actually met him at the local TTRPG convention, TsunamiCon, when he joined the one-shot game of Fabula Ultima that I was hosting.

        Between that and my experience running the quickstart of A Monster's Tail, that makes it twice that I've supported a TTRPG Kickstarter only to discover that one of the creators lives in the city I just happened to move to last year and then had them play in a game I hosted. Two nickels, am I right?

        Anyway, when he announced the Knave 2E Adventure Jam, I figured this would be a great opportunity to dip my toe into the domain of published TTRPG content. I think I did a good job, considering it's my first time. I feel like this might actually be worth money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tremor Swamp - My Entry for the Knave 2E Adventure Jam

           Once again, I awaken from my slumber, with momentous news: I am now officially a TTRPG publisher. I have just submitted my first ...